Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Beginnings of a Novel

Like many people, I have always wanted to write a novel. But I've never done anything about it.

Oh, I've started a few novels (who hasn't?), and even breached the 50-page mark on one occasion. But 50 pages does not a make a novel. In truth, I'm no closer than I was when infected with the writing virus 30 years ago.

I was in the 10th grade and had received high marks on a district-wide writing exam. The exam used as a writing prompt a photograph of an abandoned house on the prairie. As an angst-ridden teenager in the Seventies, I saw in the photo a post-apocalyptic wasteland, so I wrote a story about life after nuclear war. Rather than send me to the school counselor, the district judges gave me an award. I was instantly hooked.

That early brush with success was enough to convince me I had the necessary talent to write a novel. Within a few days, I had expanded my dreary story to include characters and plot. I read a lot of science fiction at the time, so I drew inspiration from Arthur C. Clark, Isaac Asimov, and Robert Heinlein. My story centered around a small group of survivors who escaped our dead planet and spent their days hurtling through space in search of a new home.

After thoroughly depressing myself, I became preoccupied with other interests (girls, drums, basketball) and the novel project died. But my dream survived.

At DePauw University, I again received positive feedback for my writing - enough that I eventually chose to major in English Composition. I enjoyed my creative writing classes immensely but really had no idea what to write about. My stories were adolescent and lacked real world experience (I recently confirmed this by re-reading them).

After college, I moved on to professional pursuits. I wrote plenty over the years, but not much fiction. Instead, I labored over video scripts, feature stories, and company newsletters. For a while, I even served as business writer and editor for a Gannett daily newspaper.

I also read a lot. My tastes expanded to include some great writers, including Phillip Roth, John Updike, Ernest Hemingway, Annie Proulx, T.C. Boyle, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Richard Yates, Sherwood Anderson, and Edward Abbey.

Unfortunately, I still have nothing to show for my lifelong goal of writing a novel.

It has now been 25 years since I graduated from college, and hardly a day has passed that I didn't ponder the possibility of writing fiction. Some days I am overwhelmed with ideas for stories. I have lived through more than my share of ups and downs, and have enough life experience to fill a library with novels. The time seems right.

And now I also have the time.

Last month, my wife suggested I spend the next year writing full time. It didn't take much to convince me. I quickly jettisoned my responsibilities, found a small office, and began to write. Just as quickly, I succumbed to the familiar demons that plague many writers: Self doubt. Perfectionism. Procrastination. Intimidation. Loneliness.

The signs were everywhere: I needed help. Otherwise, I risked squandering my golden opportunity.

I researched motivation, goal setting, and visualization. I joined a local fiction writer's critique group. And I signed up for an online writer's workshop. This week, I returned to writing with a fresh approach, moral support, and a list of goals.

My primary goal? To complete a first draft of my novel in six months. That gives me until the end of 2009.

All I need to do is write 100,000 words in 180 days.

A thousand words a day, five days per week.

Can I do it? We'll find out.

This blog will serve to catalogue my novel writing experiences. I'll share my hopes, dreams, fears and observations along the way. I'll post some excerpts from my writing. And maybe by the holidays, I'll be blogging about about how easy this whole process has been.

I hope you can join me for my journey. Wish me luck.

-Tom Johnson

8 comments:

  1. Tom, best of luck to you. I look forward to following your progress (and buying your book).

    JAG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    I "met" you as "Chickenhead" on Apwr and Fas yahoo web boards. Your skill as writer and your charm in the verbal world lead so many of us in those message boards to admire you and read every word you cared to post.

    I've often wondered why? What’s so special about what you say or how you say it? (and why was I not as popular as CH!) Its this-honesty, simply stated, well written. I think you are able to write the simple truth of what you are feeling in the moment as a human being, sometimes vulnerable, sometimes scared, sometimes exultant....but always honest, stripped of defenses, never puffed up or stilted,. That’s your gift, your vehicle is a well written English style, your problem will be to develop characters that act dynamically within the structure of an interesting plot and tell a good story(no small task).

    My advice-don't lose your gift and your vehicle while wrestling with the problem of an over complicated plot and characters. Keep it simple. Start with the best character you have, yourself, (who people flock to and are charmed by) and have him react honestly to what life throws at him. Just reading the first paragraph of this blog site intro I hear that honest voice...and that’s what makes me want to read you, and turn the page. I don't want to read about your idea of a hero or some wildass character you invent...as much as I want that honest voice.

    Best of luck.. I've gone 35 years now, and raised 6 kids from my full-time artistic career income(sculptor), it began as an experiment, ”lets see if I can do this, I ‘ll try it for a year, do nothing but make art, sell it, see if I can survive”; it became an obsession/passion, required sacrifice but never felt difficult, never felt like work, always felt like a privilege to be paid to make art. There is an element of luck involved, but you make your own luck to a large extent. I just received a $½ million + commission, so the on going experiment was successful monetarily as well. I promise you, if you write a novel at least one person will buy and read it, that would be me. There! a small success already…now built on it.

    Best wishes, Bill

    www.billhopen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill - your post is incredibly thoughtful. So kind of you to take the time. Your words give me the confidence needed to get through today's writing. Could you please stop by and post a bit more every day???

    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tom Testing
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tom,

    I am so interested in following you novel develop. I love the way you write. Keep it up and know that you have fans who are wishing you well.

    How do you deal with the real people in your fictional story? What if they recognize themselves?
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, Andrew here, from basketball at the FCC several years ago. I hope we can help critique each other's novels soon enough. I am one of those guys who from a young age liked writing and the idea of creating stories, but never followed the dream. I didn't start writing until I began traveling in my early 20's. Now, I'm hooked. All I have to do is get a groupie-type following like you seem to have! Good luck. To all of us writers out there.

    ReplyDelete